History

St. Mary’s was organized as a mission church of the Diocese of Florida in 1878.  The Bishop of the Diocese, The Right Rev. John Freeman Young, appointed a committee to raise funds for the erection of the church building.  The Bishop obtained architectural plans for the church from Charles C. Haight from New York. The first service was held in St. Mary’s sanctuary on March 10, 1879. The Rev. Dr. Aspinwall of New York City officiated at the service.  The following year (1880) the tower and spire were added.

The site on which St. Mary’s is located was a gift of the Thaddeus David family, and at that time was valued at $500.  The stained glass windows in the sanctuary, which cost $1,100 when the church was built, were given by the Dore family.  They are from the Colgate Studio in New York.

St. Mary’s was consecrated March 26, 1892, by the Right Reverend Edwin Gardiner Weed, assisted by the Rev. Mr. Webb of Philadelphia.  The original vessels for Holy Communion are still used in the services today. St. Mary’s was placed on the National Register of Historic Sites in 1979.  In 2002, the Parish Hall was also placed on the National Register.

In the News

Archive photos

State Archives of Florida postcard image of St. Mary's Church.

Undated image of a postcard of St. Mary’s from the State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory, http://floridamemory.com/items/show/158952

 

1880s(?) photo of St. Mary's from the State Archives of Florida

1880s(?) photo of St. Mary’s from the State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory, http://floridamemory.com/items/show/3736

 

1966(?) photo of St. Mary's from the State Archives of Florida

1966(?) photo of St. Mary’s from the State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory, http://floridamemory.com/items/show/28172